Tuesday, April 22, 2014

DIY Gold Feather Art

A few months ago, I got a wild hair to redo R.B.'s guest bathroom. Unfortunately, I didn't take many before/after pics. But I did document a DIY project that I'm really excited about!

I wanted something inexpensive, and I couldn't find anything worth purchasing. So, I decided to make something myself. 



I ran across these DIY Gold Paper Feathers on Pinterest and discovered Lia Griffith's awesome blog. She has tons of free printables, DIY ideas and crafty tutorials. You should definitely check her out. 


Here's what you'll need:
  • Lia Griffith's downloadable paper feather template
  • Inexpensive black wall frames (Mine are from Walmart)
  • Photo matte (I got mine cut at Hobby Lobby after I had finished the project because they're a weird size)
  • Black poster board (I got one sheet and cut it into squares to use in all 3 frames)
  • Rubber cement to glue the feathers to the poster board
  • Gold spray paint
  • Clear gloss spray paint
  • Scissors

I followed Lia's steps for making the feathers look a little more realistic. She has a great graphic at the bottom of her post on how to do that. But I basically folded the feathers in half to create an indentation down the middle and "fringed" the edges. 



Instead of using gold foil like Lia, I decided to use gold spray paint because it dries faster and I had some at home (use what you have on hand!). I also sprayed a clear gloss over the gold.

Here's the finished product:


I also sprayed a clear gloss over the black poster board I used for the background.

And because I was so happy with how it turned out, I decided to do a grouping for the bathroom...



This was such an easy and inexpensive project, but it looks really great in our space. R.B. was super impressed. 
Of course, this project is totally customizable to your space. You can use different colors and different frames. Or you can use these to decorate gifts like Lia, create a feather garland...the options are endless!

Let us know what you create!


6 comments:

  1. That looks gorgeous! Love the gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally thinking about stealing this! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following you over here, of course! Glad you'll be posting again, Kelley, and nice to meet you, Maeci!

    ReplyDelete