Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Few of My Favorite Things, Part 1

My favorite things change constantly. A new shampoo, a trendy nail color, a popular book...they're different almost every month. But, Kelley and I are going to take turns letting you know what we're currently loving. 

So, here are some of my favorite things (for now)...


1. Boxwood everything: I'm totally obsessed with Boxwood. I love the wreaths, the topiaries, the trees, everything. I just think they're so cute and really freshen up a space. These cute little trees are currently sitting on R.B.'s mantle. I got them from a local shop in Montgomery called Quite the Pair. If you haven't checked them out yet, be sure to do so soon! They have adorable home decor, baby gifts, jewelry, and clothes! 

2. Social Dress Shop: This is a new favorite. I'm not really sure how I stumbled upon this site, but I'm so glad I did. They have great party dresses, jewelry, bathing suits, and more. And, they feature several designers that you may not have heard of yet. I recently purchased a Camilyn Beth dress, and I can't wait to wear it. Their service is great too. I accidentally ordered the wrong size, and they were so responsive and easy to deal with. It's almost like you're shopping in a small boutique in NYC with really attentive and fashionable salespeople. 

3. Marie Claire magazine: I've had a subscription to Marie Claire for years, and it's the only magazine I subscribe to. Of course, they cover the current fashion and beauty trends, but they also feature stories on strong women around the world and in the workplace. It's a great magazine if you want some fluff, but also crave some more serious features. I will say, most of their features on women (especially those in politics) and women's issues lean pretty far to the left. So, if you're a staunch Republican, you may not agree with some of the viewpoints. But, I think it's important to learn from every side.

4. DevaCurl 3-Step System: This is also a fairly new favorite. I have super curly hair, and I've never really been loyal to one shampoo brand. But, I think that has changed since finding DevaCurl. The shampoo, called "No-Poo" (totally awkward name), doesn't lather at all. At first, that was kind of weird, but I got used to it. It's sulfate-free and high in natural botanicals, so it doesn't strip your hair. I follow the shampoo with the "One Condition" conditioner, and then finish with the "Light Defining Gel." The total system works so well with my hair. My hair curls better, is less frizzy, and isn't crunchy from the gel. I purchased mine from Birchbox, so if you decide to try it out, use my referral link!

5. Gone Girl: This book has lived up to the hype, so far. I'm about 3/4 through and loving it. From the author: "Gone Girl opens on the occasion of Amy and Nick Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. (How romantic.) Amy disappears under very disturbing circumstances. (Less romantic.) Nick and Amy Dunne were the golden couple when they first began their courtship. Soul mates. They could complete each other's sentences, guess each other's reactions. They could push each other's buttons. They are smart, charming, gorgeous, and also narcissistic, selfish, and cruel.They complete each other--in a very dangerous way." It's totally not predictable and keeps you on the edge of your seat. There's also a movie coming out soon. So, be sure to read it before! There is some coarse language and sexual scenes, so be advised. 

6. Steel City Pops: I LOVE Steel City Pops. I can't go to Birmingham (or Tuscaloosa) without stopping by one of their locations and grabbing a Buttermilk pop (I know you're thinking that sounds gross, but it tastes like frozen cheesecake!). They opened one store in 2012 in Birmingham, but are expanding rapidly. I'm leading the campaign to bring them to Montgomery. I even have the perfect location (so, if any City of Montgomery folks are reading, call me. The perfect location just so happens to be within walking distance of my apartment). Next time you're in Birmingham/Tuscaloosa (and soon, Dallas/Ft. Worth), be sure to check out all of their delicious flavors and let me know your new fave!

So, those are just a few of my (current) favorite things. 

I'm also fairly fond of these cuties.



They're two of my forever favorites.

Let us know what you're loving these days! And, be on the lookout for Kelley's favorite things tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment